In 2009, Dr. Cutchen founded Albuquerque Vein & Laser Institute, a clinic dedicated solely to the diagnosis and treatment of venous disease. His goal was to provide the most advanced diagnostic and treatment options all in the comfort of his office without the need for hospitalization. Our goal is to treat every patient the way we ourselves would hope to be treated. Please take a few minutes to get to know us and find out how we can help you overcome the embarrassment and discomfort of varicose veins. We look forward to meeting you and are committed to providing the most comprehensive vein care solutions available.
Meet Robert Cutchen, MD, RVS, RVT, RPVI
Dr. Cutchen is a native of Albuquerque and founder of Albuquerque Vein & Laser Institute and seeks to provide the most advanced and thorough vein care available. He attended medical school at the University of New Mexico following graduation from Brigham Young University with a degree in Zoology and a minor in Spanish. Following medical school, Dr. Cutchen completed an internship in general surgery at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland. He then returned to Albuquerque and completed a residency in family medicine at UNM. Immediately following completion of residency training, Dr. Cutchen began working in the field of Phlebology, the diagnosis and treatment of vein disorders. During this time, he also became skilled in the use of diagnostic vascular ultrasound and earned the Registered Vascular Specialist (RVS), Registered Vascular Technologist (RVT) and Registered Physician in Vascular Interpretation (RPVI) credentials. Dr. Cutchen is a diplomate of the American Board of Phlebology and is board certified by the American Board of Family Medicine.
Dr. Cutchen an expert in his field, offering only the latest technology and treatments available for varicose and spider veins, including endovenous laser ablations, ultrasound-guided sclerotherapy and ambulatory phlebectomy. This newer treatment protocol is a radical departure from the old surgical procedure of vein stripping, which involved hospital stays, general anesthesia and days or weeks of recovery. He performs all vein treatments using only local anesthesia in his beautiful Albuquerque vein center, thus providing minimal discomfort and downtime and optimal results for his patients. He is fluent in Spanish. Dr. Cutchen and his wife are the proud parents of four children.
- Mechanical Engineer Major: University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Zoology: Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
- Medical School: University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM
- General Surgery Internship: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR
- Family and Community Medicine Residency: University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM
- American College of Phlebology
- Greater Albuquerque Medical Association
- New Mexico Medical Society
- Professional Certifications:
- MD, New Mexico Board of Medical Examiners — 2006-2010
- Phlebology, Diplomate of the American Board of Phlebology — 2008-2018
- Family Medicine, American Board of Family Medicine — 2007-2014
- Registered Vascular Technologist (RVT) — February 2011
- Registered Physician in Vascular Interpretation (RPVI) — April 2011
- Registered Vascular Specialist (RVS), Cardiovascular Credentialing International — May 2008
- Staff Physician, Vein center of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM — Jan 2007- Oct. 2007
- Staff Physician, Presbyterian Medical Group, Albuquerque, NM — June 2008-March 2009
- Staff Physician, First Choice Community Healthcare, Albuquerque, MN — Nov 2007-2009
- Lecturer/Presenter: 2003-present
- Bilingual: Spanish